So last week toward the end of my time in Portland I was getting a little burnt out eating nothing but heavy, though so so delicious, foods. Donuts, ice cream, pizza, etc. were just starting to make me feel sick so we started seeking out some healthier options.
While walking along the waterfront near our hotel, we ended up stopping into a little café that had some pretty bomb sandwiches and then went back the next day for breakfast. This little recipe is inspired by the warm quinoa breakfast bowl I tried there. It’s simple, quick, and packed with goodness. Also…it won’t make you all farty and bloated like oatmeal which is a HUGE plus!
You can make it up in a bowl at home or eat it out of a jar on the go! I’ve been making up a big batch of quinoa and then filling enough jars to last 2-3 days.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup milk of your choosing
- 1/2 diced apple (pink lady or honeycrisp)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- small handful of walnuts
- small handful of granola
- Rinse the quinoa and cook according to the directions on the package.
- Layer your quinoa, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and granola into a bowl or jar and top with diced apple.
- When you're ready to eat it, pour your milk of choice over the top and microwave for 1.5 minutes.
Super easy and so delicious! Let me know if you try this recipe out and if you enjoyed it! I love it as an alternative to oatmeal!